Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Easy turtle bars

Mmm turtles.. just the name of turtles (the candy not the animal lol ) makes me think of creamy caramel & pecans drenched in dreamy chocolate..yummy!!




 I love them... so I was happy when in a surprise Christmas box I received the recipe & ingredients to make them.. once I took a bite I was so happy... thanks for the gift Wendy :)


Patting the crust out is a little work, it is a really, really sticky batter.. but I solved that issue by sprinkling the crust batter with a little flour until I got it into a thin layer.  And don't be like me and use way too much non-stick spray which makes it even harder to spread out the layer.  You want the bars to come out of the pan, but you also want to make a bottom crust, so moderation of non-stick spray is the answer. 


Also, thinking next time I am adding a layer of shredded coconut and turning these into German chocolate bars.. then I was thinking chopped up Heath bars instead of chocolate chips and you have toffee bars.. I could go on and on...as always use what you like.. make the soon.. enjoy






Easy Turtle Bars


1 package chocolate cake mix
1 stick butter/margarine, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 1/3 cup chocolate chips ( I used mini chips)
1 cup chopped pecans, divided
1 jar (12 oz) caramel ice cream topping
flour






Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly spray with non-stick spray a 13 x 9 pan.  In a large bowl mix cake mix, butter and milk with a fork until combined.  Spoon 1/2 of the batter in the cake pan (use a spoon and divide along the pan a little batter in each corner, along with a little batter in the middle it makes it easier to spread.  Very lightly sprinkle the batter in the pan with a small amount of flour and using your fingers pat into an even layer, sprinkling with more flour to help the sticking stop.  When in a layer bake for 7-8 minutes or until a crust begins to form, remove from oven.  Sprinkle chocolate chips in an even layer over the crust, and drizzle caramel topping over chips. Sprinkle with 1/2 the pecans over the caramel topping.  Drop small spoonful's of the remaining chocolate cake batter over the top of the caramel topping and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of pecans.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched (caramel center will be soft).  Cool completely.  Cut into bars and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment