Thursday, October 16, 2014

Ponsett

I love Ponsett.  Oh what is ponsett you are asking?  It is a bacon, egg & rice dish that is so heavenly and super easy to make. Its kind of like bacon fried rice.   My mom got this recipe from a friend of hers, who her friend had a friend from India who gave her this recipe.  Even my husband goes, not sure I will like it, once trying it says man, that is good.  And my 4 year old Jackson, once he tried it wants it every day...LOL so it must be good.

I also add onion & garlic to this which my mom doesn't do, but I think it adds more flavor, and I am all about flavor!!

I use instant rice, use your favorite brand.

**NOTE**  I usually use a couple of bouillon cubes (cause I always am running out of stock), but you can use beef broth/stock instead . If using bouillon cubes I take a big pyrex glass measuring cup, measure 2 cups of water and put the unwrapped bouillon cubes in an heat for about 4 minutes in the microwave.  Take out and with a spoon,crush and stir the bouillon cubes to dissolve.  If using broth, heat for 2-3 minutes in the microwave.


 Also, I use about 4-5 slices of bacon (and I use my favorite bacon, Wright brand  which is thick and yummy, but if you are using really thin bacon use about 1/2 package.
Make this today.. Enjoy


Ponsett

4-5 slices thick bacon, sliced thin
4 eggs, beaten seasoned with a little salt & pepper
2 cups beef broth (or can use 2 cups of water and 2 beef bouillon cubes) **see note
2 cups minute rice
1/2 onion, finely chopped

*seasonings of your choice.. I use 1/4 tsp garlic & onion powder, sprinkle of seasoned salt & pepper


In large pan over medium high heat, add bacon & onions stirring often, cooking till about 3/4 of the way done.  Add beaten eggs, stirring constantly till eggs are set and done.  Add heated broth, rice and seasoning stirring mixture well.  Bring to a simmer then cover pan and turn heat down to medium low and cook for 10 minutes stirring often.  After 10 minutes remove lid and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes till everything is hot and rice is done.  Remove from heat, taste adjust any seasonings and enjoy...

2 comments: