Sunday, April 13, 2014

Ice cream sandwich cake

Oh my gosh!!! I just made my first ice cream sandwich cake, well it's not really made out of cake, but it is the best thing ever!!! I have all my boys requesting this for their birthday's... so it was a hit....and was the star of the show... and super easy to do.... It was basically layering ice cream sandwiches, & holding the layers together with thick hot fudge, then frosting the entire thing with whipped topping and covering the top with candy..who wouldn't love that...

You can use whatever candy you like, and I used frozen whipped topping thawed, and spray whipped cream for the border , but you can just use the frozen whipped topping and skip the spray kind.  It will be just fine.. Also, we love chocolate at our house, you can use any kind of topping that you like, caramel etc.  Also, use whatever magic shell topping you like too..


Start with one box of ice cream sandwiches at a time, leaving the other box in the freezer to make sure they stay really frozen and hard. I used classic vanilla ice cream sandwiches, but my husband is requesting the Neapolitan (you know the strawberry, chocolate & vanilla) ones, and we were talking about mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches..that would be really good too... make this today & your family will love you.. Enjoy



Ice cream sandwich cake


2 boxes, full size ice cream sandwiches, unwrapped
1 large container cool whip, thawed
2 jars hot fudge ice cream topping ( I used Smuckers)
1 container Magic shell, ice cream topping, (I used hot fudge flavored)
Candy ( I used cut up Twix bars, mini Reese peanut butter cups, and M & M's)
1 can spray whip cream


In a 13 x 9 pan, line it completely with foil, making sure it overhangs the pan.  Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches and line the pan with a single row of sandwiches, cutting ones to fit the edges of the pan.

Scoop the entire contents of one jar of hot fudge and spread into an even layer over the first row of ice cream sandwiches.
Add remaining layer of unwrapped ice cream sandwiches cutting to fit.  Cover pan with foil & place entire pan into the freezer and freeze for at least a couple of hours. After the couple of hours, remove pan from freezer.  I lined a large cutting board with aluminum foil.  Remove the foil that is covering the pan. Place the cutting board over the pan and flip the cake upside down on the cutting board/cake platter. Remove the foil.  Spread the remaining hot fudge over the top layer of the cake.  Frost the entire cake with cool whip topping.
Place cake back in freezer (don't cover) for at least a couple of hours to harden.  When cool whip topping  is hardened and you are almost (within a half hour of being) ready to serve the cake.  Using the spray whipped cream make a decorative border on the top and bottom of the cake. 

Add the chopped candies on top and drizzle with magic shell topping.


 Carefully put the cake back in the freezer for up to a 1/2 hour. Remove from freezer, cut and serve.. Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Not only photos, but a tutorial too? ;-} WOW! This dessert looks absolutely amazing! I've made a simpler version, but I sure could go for this...and I'm not a big ice cream lover...but give me the 'goo' and candy - and I'm all over it. =) Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete